Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Joseph Q Wells

I am stuck.  There are sooooo many people who were born in Mississippi around 1874 named Joe/Joseph Wells... Nobody can say that genealogy is boring when you have problems like this!  I am trying to go through them one at a time and narrow down who his parents might be, but in the mean time, I'll check out his children.  Maybe through one of them, I can find out more about him.  Here is what my software says about him so far...   ****UPDATE!!  I have found who I believe are his parents.  See below for the extras I added.

Joseph Q. Wells was born in May 1874 in Mississippi.  He died after 1916. When he was 22, He married Delanie Upchurch on 31 Dec 1896 in Oktibbeha, Mississippi, USA.

He lived in Beat 4, Oktibbeha, Mississippi in 1900. He lived in Oktibbeha, Mississippi, USA in 1910.  (Both of these census records can be found here).

Joseph Q. Wells and Delanie Upchurch had the following children:

1. Bettie Ann Wells
2. Bertrum Lester Wells was born on 11 Dec 1897 in Mississippi, USA. He died on 30 Sep 1900 in Mississippi, USA (Buried at Pleasant Hill Cemetery, Winston, Mississippi, USA).
3. Willie Lou Wells
4. Polly B Wells
5. Bessie Wells  (I can see that when she died her last name was Ketter, but again, I'm at a loss as to where to go next.  I cannot find her in the 1930 or 1940 census, and I've checked many different ways).  I'm stopping her and coming back later!


****UPDATE:  I looked through the results of a search of the 1880 Census records for Mississippi and found 3 possible matches for our Joseph Q Wells.  One of the birthdates didn't match up to what I knew to be correct from the census records that I have.  So I had just two possibilities, and with my mother-in-law's help (she led me to this website), I found this entry at this website...


DELORVY WELLS   08/04/1876- 07/07/1913    WESLEY UPCHURCH/ BETTIE LANKFORD--- Joe Wells___ PLEASANT  HILL  

Based on the information I have about Joe's wife (Delaney Upchurch), and I already knew her death date and it matched up, so I now had a cemetery (Pleasant Hill).  I then googled Pleasant Hill Cemetery in Oktibbeha County Mississippi, and nothing came back.  I saw that one of the two families that I had narrowed down for possibly being my Joseph listed Winston County Mississippi as their home in 1880, so I decided to try it out.  I searched for Pleasant Hill Cemetery in Winston County Mississippi and I was taken to this website and saw these entries...

WELLS ANDREW M COK,MS, INF
WELLS BERTUM LESTER 10-11-1897 09/30/1900
WELLS CORDIE BEATRESS 04/06/1902 09/27/1902
WELLS LEVI H 9-12-1878 9-8-1883

Based on the information that I have on Joe's children, I know that Bertrum Lester was his son who died just before turning 3 years old, so this matched up, and then I looked at the list and saw that the Andrew M Wells listed at the top was the father of one of the Joe's that I had on my list.  So I began to do some searches for Andrew M Wells, and found that he had a son named Levi(Levy) whose birth date matched up with the birth date for the person in the cemetery.  

The one question I still have is where is Delaney(Delorvy)Wells in this cemetery.  She isn't listed on the list for the cemetery, but the location of the cemetery is only about 3 and half hours from my hometown, so when I go visit home this summer, I'm going to drive over and scour the cemetery to find her and see if I can find some dates for Andrew that match up with what I found about him on this site.  


MILLER ANDREW WELLS 03/08/1844-08/15/1919 SAM WELLS ___________________PLEASANT HILL  

So now, I'm moving onto looking up the rest of Joe's children.  Then I'll skip back and check out Andrew M and his children (Joe's siblings).  Thanks for all the help I got figuring this out!!! 

1880 US Federal Census - Winston, Mississippi, USA.


No comments:

Post a Comment